September 24, 2008

The Comic Says it All

Well, like the title (and the comic), you may assume the same thing about an English degree. I'd agree with you...mostly. Except now I'm seriously considering it for my degree from Hancock. Why the heck would I do that, you may ask? Well, I want to graduate this year...and the core classes for International Studies just look tedious. Two economics, one world geography, one business, and two history course? It would be the definition of misery, forcing myself through those subjects, even if only for a short while. But English is more than fun to me- I love it. And, it gives me plenty of room to take my required Math class sometime within the next two terms (winter and spring). So yay. I can totally do this.
In my anthropology class this week, I've been seriously motivated to do some research on possible careers in the linguistics/anthropology/languages realm. This class has been very fun so far, but nothing compared to the way I lit up when we started discussing linguistics on Monday. After class I discussed this with my teacher, Pat, and he had to break it to me that unless I'm a female contemporary of Noam Chomsky, I'd likely find my career in academia. This proves interesting to me- I never have felt like I'd enjoy teaching. But it's something to think about.
Well, it's off to history class pour moi- I really like the teacher, and the topics we're covering are very interesting. I found pre-college history material banal (you can take that one of two ways), since there's only so many ways you can write a grade school, middle school, and high school textbook...but this college one (1877 to the present) is quite handy in size and writing style.
After class, it's off to Lompoc with Krystie to see Eric and maybe Mike. Ah, the socialite I am becoming...not.

~VL~

No comments: