March 15, 2011

The Day Puppy Made Three


One year ago today, I woke up at the crack of dawn and drove to Bakersfield for the best reason ever- to adopt a puppy (I can't really think of any other reason to drive to Bakersfield, actually...)! I had seen him on PetFinder and knew instantly that it was meant to be.

While on our puppy search closer to home, the shelters told us we'd have to schedule an interview, take a personality test to see if our traits matched with the dog, and have our home evaluated by a shelter staff member. The animal shelter in Bakersfield told me whoever showed up first with the cash to adopt him would have dibs. I was determined to get there first (did I mention I like winning?).

I was so excited to see no one else was at the shelter that morning at seven (they were still in bed, like normal people). As the clerk lead me to the kennel and opened the door, little Augustus came bounding out, much larger than I was expecting but more perfect than previously imagined! I oohed and ahhed in excitement- little Gus peed in a frenzy, all over my shoes. I didn't care! He was my pup!

A year later, he still roams the backyard like he is king of the world. He has an uncanny way of being calm and cuddly when I'm sad, and some of my favorite memories are of us sitting in the backyard together in the sunshine. I never knew I could love a dog so much!

Leave a comment here!

~VLP~

1 comment:

Dionne said...

Awww... how cute! And I love that you got him from a shelter instead of a pet store. Rescuing a dog, that's so sweet. What a cutie!