June 21, 2012

Late-Night Musings of a Student Mama

My husband sometimes likes to grumble over the fact that we humans need sleep to function. "Do you know how much more we could accomplish if we didn't need to sleep?" he asks. Frankly, I don't feel like I can accomplish jack diddly without my beauty rest, even if I average on half the amount of sleep per night that I enjoyed pre-baby, and now, pre-summer session. One of the orientation assignments I had to complete today was asking me questions like, "On a scale of one to ten, how calm and confident do you feel about accomplishing your short-term goals?" I may or may not have skipped that particular question. I mean, let's be real- some days just fly by and my mind is racing back and forth across so many tasks at a mile a minute ("Don't forget to start a new load of laundry! I should go to the grocery store- no, it's almost nap time for Miles. I'll study while he naps. Okay, he's down. I should see what's happening on Facebook and check my email..."). Time management is not one of my strong suits, but I've been challenging myself to break the day down and plan ahead so I can get things done. Today actually went pretty well, I thought. I set aside time for myself to rest during Miles's first nap, I studied during his second one, and I took some time for myself after he went to bed. Now it's back to studying and keeping my nose to the grindstone for the next six weeks as I tackle these courses- I have to say, I enjoy the challenge. I'm pretty sure it will be August before I know it!

2 comments:

lisacng said...

I'm a "need 6-8 hrs" girl. The first year was exhausting both physically and emotionally b/c of the lack of sleep. I seriously don't know how I'm going handle baby #2 when that time comes! Anyways, finding our stride post-baby certainly comes with time, and trial and error, and partnership with our hubs! I finally feel like "myself" these days now that our son is almost 2. Not that it's going to take you 2 years, but I'm just reassuring you that it's ok if it takes time! Good luck to you in the time-management department! Oh, do you want me to respond to any comments left on my blog via the comments section or via email? I tend to respond to comments via email if I can find one, but couldn't find one for you. Sorry, I digress. Just want you to know that I read them! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet photo! I love your determination with such a busy schedule!